- Bob Cole - Funeral - FoEME Eulogy
- April 23, 2013 - Ashdod Sustainability Conference
- April 12 & 15, 2013 - UK Mosque & Synagogue Presentations
- March 30, 2013 - Triathlon at our SHE Park, Jordan
- March 1-2, 2013 - Auja EcoCenter Bazaar
- February 20, 2013 - Screening of Last Call at the Oasis
- February 16, 2013 - Jordan Valley Women's Crafts Bazar
- January 4, 2013 - Battir Walk
- December 16, 2012 - Baka Gharbia Photo Exhibit
- December 13-14, 2012 - Hike for the Jordan Valley - Auja
- December 12, 2012 - Battir petition in the High Court
- December 2, 2012 - Guest Lecture
- November 16, 2012 - Battir Bicycle Ride
- October 20, 2012 - Hike for the Jordan Valley - Auja
- October 15, 2012 - Public Participation Meeting - Lower Jordan River
- October 5, 2012 - Night Hike in Auja!
- Sept. 12-13, 2012 - Good Water Neighbors Regional Conference
- Nov-Dec, 2012 - Water, Water Everywhere
- August 23, 2012 - Jordan River Photography Exhibit, Frankfurt
- July 15, 2012 - Jordan River Photography Exhibit, London
- June 6, 2012 - Access to Water & Sanitation: A Fundamental Human Right?
- May 22-25, 2012 - Green Week 2012
- May 5, 2012 - Climate Dots with 350.org
- April 30, 2012 - Public Participation Meeting - Lower Jordan River
- April 22nd, 2012 - Last Call at the Oasis
- April 18, 2012 - Divided Communities: Experiences from the Middle East and Sri Lanka
- March 21, 2012 - Chris Hammer public presentation
- Feb 21, 2012 - JUST WATER - Event at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Capital Hill
- November 16, 2011 - Conference: Reviving the Jordan River: Hopes and Difficulties
- Sept. 17, 2011 - Jordan River Photography Exhibition, Cologne
- Aug. 23, 2011 - Jordan River Photography Exhibition, Stockholm
- June 25, 2011 - Global Water Dance
- June 15, 2011 - Water Trustees End-of-Year Event
- May 21, 2011 - Mass Float in the Dead Sea
- April 12, 2011 - Grand Opening - SHE Park, Jordan
- March 24-25, 2011 - NIF hosting FoEME in the UK
- March 2, 2011 - Palestinian Symposium
- Feb. 26-March 1, 2011 - J Street conference, Washington DC
- Jan 13-15, 2011 - Around the Kinneret; Choral Music Festival
- Nov 30, 2010 - A Water Agreement Cannot Wait
- Nov 2-3, 2010 - Good Water Neighbors Regional Conference
- October 9, 2010 - Jordan River Bicyling for 350.org
- August 15, 2010 - Big Jump in the Jordan River
- June 29, 2010 - FoEME at the EU Parliament
May 3-4, 2010 - Bringing the Jordan River Back to Life: Strategies for Rehabilitation Conference
- April 21, 2010 - Conference; Israeli Preparedness for the Climate Crisis - Impacts on the Water System
- February 24, 2010 - Cross border Wadi Fuqin / Tsur Hadassah residents meeting
- March 3-5, 2010 - Cross Border Womens Meeting
- Dec. 3-5, 2009 - Regional Ecological Building workshop
- Nov. 25, 2009 - Climate Change Workshop for Journalists
- Nov. 4-6, 2009 - Annual GWN Regional Mayors Gathering
- October 24, 2009 - Jordanians, Palestinians and Israelis around the Dead Sea for 350.org day
- May 27, 2009 - Israeli / Palestinian Water Discussion
- May-June, 2009 - Cross Border Neighbors Paths Tour
- March 26, 2009 - World Water Day Activities
- Dec 21, 2008 - Euro-Med Civil Society Meeting
- Nov. 25-26, 2008 - 5th Annual Good Water Neighbors Conference
- Nov. 3-5, 2008 - Pro Aquifer Professional Conference
- September 1-4, 2008 - 13th World Water Congress
- July 27, 29, 30, 2008 - World Bank Public Hearings
- July 10, 2008 - International Expo- Water and Sustainability
- May 19, 2008 - Designs for Jordan River Peace Park
- April 24, 2008 - Neighbors Paths - 3 day tour in Jordan
- November 29, 2007 - Regional Cross Border Mayors Gathering
- August 8, 9, 12, 2007 - Red Dead Canal / World Bank Public Hearings
- July 15, 2007 - BIG JUMP! into the Jordan River
- June 5, 2007 - FoEME speaking in 2 events in Washington
- May 10, 2007 - Red Sea Dead Sea Conduit Conference
- March 14, 2007 - ALLMEP Peacebuilding Reception
- March 1, 2007 - British Opposition Leader Plants a Tree on the Green Line
- February 7, 2007 - Cross Border Mayors Gathering
- January 17, 2007 - Jordanian Israeli Cooperation at the Dead Sea
- January 10, 2007 - Cross Border Israeli Jordanian Mayors Meeting
- December 4-8, 2006 - Jordan Valley Tour
- November 20, 2006 - Cross Border Mayors Meeting
- October 18, 2006 - World Water Monitoring Day
- October 8-10 2006 - Childrens Art Exhibit
- September 8-9, 2006 - Art Workshop
- September 7, 2006 - Cross-Border Adult Forum Meeting
- September 6, 2006 - Beit Shean, Pella Mayors Meeting
- August 1, 2006 - Radio All For Peace - FoEME Weekly Environmental Broadcasts
- July 26, 2006 - Ecological Garden Inaugural Ceremony
- July 18, 2006 - Med-Youth Creating a Sustainable Med-Future
- July 16-20, 2006 - Experts Mission
- April 20, 2006 - Earth Day Event
- March 23, 2006 - Workshop on Planning of Sansan Area
- March 22, 2006 - Jordan Valley / Dead Sea Mayors Forum
- Feb. 9, 2006 - WTO and us...
Bob Cole - Funeral - FoEME Eulogy
17 May, 2013
In Memory and Gratitude to Bob Cole
I knew Bob Cole for a relatively short time. It was in fact just three years ago, almost to this day that Bob first walked into the FoEME offices in Tel Aviv. He came into the meeting with a mission. Without us knowing, he had researched environmental groups that he wanted WRAP, a DC based NGO, to partner with and he had identified FoEME as the best means to advance WRAP’s interests on the ground, since WRAP had no representation in the Middle East.
In this first meeting he offered nothing to FoEME other than more work and greater responsibilities then we could already take on. Logically we should have politely said thank you but no thank you – you are asking us to take on too much. But then there was something in his sincerity, his determination to make a difference on the ground on the issue. It was clear from the start that, after his family, this was the most important thing that he cared about – advancing Middle East peace, Jewish –Arab understanding. There was something so honest in Bob’s manner that it was just impossible to say no.
And so we started our journey – at first indeed helping WRAP advance its first rainwater harvesting facility. However, progress on one or two projects was not enough for Bob. He wanted to see broader and immediate impact. He had actually said to me that time was not on his side and that he was determined to leave an impact. He had visited a gathering of FoEME’s Good Water Neighbors project and saw first hand the Jewish-Arab interaction over water. He visited our EcoFacilities in Jordan and Palestine and he saw the potential for large-scale environmental education.
At the close of his tour he let us at FoEME know that he was going to invest his time and energy into making FoEME more powerful and FoEME’s goals more achievable. Together with Mary Alexander, a close and trusted friend, Bob started an intensive three years of meetings in the Middle East, in DC, NY and LA, countless skype calls and many, many pages of “To Do” lists. Bob was determined, and the “To Do” lists revised every few days over these last three years helped Bob measure his progress. Every meeting, every conversation started with the “To Do” lists – reviewing what had been achieved and adding items now needed to be completed.
There was much progress – meetings at the policy level with State Department officials, staff at the White House and USAID on the political opportunities in moving forward on water; Meetings with foundations, friends and individuals recommended by others to get them on board and to contribute to Good Water Neighbors or the EcoParks. It was Bob’s idea that FoEME needed a formalized body of individuals from all over the world to help open doors and help get others on board. Hence the idea of an International Advisory Committee (IAC) was born.
Bob defined the IAC’s terms of reference. He met with his best friends; he met with FoEME’s longstanding friends; he met with people recommended by others to join the IAC. Over the next year, Bob succeeded to bring together 14 highly distinguished and capable individuals to form the IAC.
Two weeks prior to the inaugural IAC meeting to be held in London, Bob even flew to London to make sure that all the final arrangements were in place. Just days before the London meeting however Bob received the terrible news related to his health and doctors advised him against any travel.
The IAC meeting took place with Bob joining through Skype. As expected, a long “To Do” list was made for, rather than one individual, now 14 committed volunteers all handpicked by Bob.
Though I only new Bob for three years, I feel I got to know him well. These were intensive years – full of good memories of Bob hiking the EcoPark in Jordan; of dancing with FoEME staff in a restaurant in Bethlehem; of walking up 8 flights of stairs at his law office in DC…with me puffing and octogenarian Bob worried for my health. I will never forget this touching moment when, at the end of a long day of meetings in the field, Bob said to me, “thank you for what you do for my People.” He said it with a tear.
Bob, though not religious, was very proud of his Jewish heritage. ‘My People’ was perhaps referring to the Jewish people but certainly not only. Bob was a humanist that loved all people. His passion was to contribute to Middle East peacemaking through water issues.
Bob will always be remembered in FoEME and by the many people that met him in the Middle East as the determined old man – certain in his path - determined to make a difference. Bob made that difference. The many IAC meetings to be held in the months and years ahead will keep his determination alive and continue to turn his vision into a reality.
Our deep condolences from FoEME go to Bob’s family and many loved ones. Bob will be dearly missed.
The FoEME Family