FoEME's International Internship Program
The FoEME internship is an opportunity for high-caliber international students and young professionals to gain first-hand experience in the emerging field of environmental peacemaking, as well as providing support for FoEME’s ongoing projects and programs.
II. Duration of Internship
· A 3 month commitment is required with preference given to longer commitments. Applicants should be aware that the standard tourist visa given upon arrival is three months. FoEME is unable to assist with visas for internship applicants.
· Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
· Internships are full time positions, a minimum requirement of 4 work days per week.
· Completion of Masters Degree, Masters Degree in-progress, or two years of work experience
· Strong English writing skills, Arabic and/or Hebrew are an advantage
· Interns are required to supply their own laptop computers (adaptors etc.)
· All interns are required to hold valid health insurance for the duration of their internship.
IV. Application Procedures
· Please send the following items to email@example.com prior to the application deadlines as indicated in section II.
ii. Cover letter. Please specify why you are interested in working with Friends of the Earth Middle East, particular position, office preference, examples of relevant academic research or professional work, and previous experience living abroad, particularly if you have experience in Israel/Palestine or other areas of conflict or cross cultural environments.
iii. Writing sample for Hebrew and/or Arabic if relevant; English writing sample if English is your second language
iv. Letters of recommendation are encouraged, but not required
1. Resource Development/ Administration Intern (One position available; Tel Aviv)
· Supervised by Resource Development Officer
· Assists in donor outreach, research on prospective donors and letters of first inquiry, and donor communication/reporting
· Writing FoEME’s annual report
2. Research Intern (Up to three positions available; one in Tel Aviv/Amman/Bethlehem respectively)
· Supervised by relevant Project Coordinator
· Intern will assist in research that is integrated into FoEME’s ongoing projects.
3. Social Media Intern (One position available; any office)
· Supervised by Director
· Responsible for managing FoEME's blog, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, etc.
· Attends FoEME events to document them for social media
· Assists FoEME staff in submitting/posting through social media outlets
· Serves as a bridge between FoEME and external social media outlets (Green Prophet, Green Change, Huffington Post, etc.)
4. Sharhabil Bin Hassaneh Eco-Park Intern (One position available; Amman)
· Supervised by Deputy Director, Jordan
· Implementing educational activities in the FoEME EcoPark
5. Auja Environmental Education EcoPark Intern, based at center in Auja
· Promotes the Auja EcoPark in travel guides, vis a vis local and international tour companies and tour guides
· Drafts promotional material for center
· English editing of publications and reports related to the center
· Support for website development
· Support for environmental education activities for local and international visitors and groups
· Support for on-site development
· Supervised by Auja EcoPark Manager and Director, Bethlehem Office
· Auja Intern will live on-site in the Auja Guest house integrating themselves into the Auja team and community.
· Beginning level Arabic strong advantage
6. NEW OPPORTUNITY - Protecting Groundwater (PGW) Project Internship, based in Bethlehm office (WEDO/FoEME):
- Enrolled in or graduated from a degree program related to water, wastewater, water engineering, hydrology.
- Applicants must be hard-working, positive, open-minded, reflective and willing to learn.
- Applicants must commit to 3 – 6 months, to be mutually agreed.
- English language is mandatory, Arabic is advantage but not required.
- Help in preparation of HRP, Water management, wastewater management courses.
- Help in preparation of upcoming tour visits.
- Write blogs covering project activities/ events.
- Help the PGW coordinator to write reports/ publications.
- Support the PGW project's upcoming conference in Amman (support in receiving scientific papers, review, etc.)
- Develop content for PGW website and brochures.
- Supervised by PGW project coordinator in Bethlehem.
Note: 70% of the internship will be devoted to the intern’s project. The remaining 30% will consist of general support activities, including:
· Logistical support for upcoming events/ activities
· Follow up with international media
· Small research projects
· English writing/ editing
· Administrative support as needed
· Urgent needs of the organization
· Interns will meet with their respective supervisors bi-weekly for feedback and review, and meet monthly with the Director in their office.
· FoEME will reimburse interns for all work-related public travel expenses (including local public transportation from home to office).
· FoEME is unable to cover any international travel or living expenses related to the internship program. For information on potential funding sources, please consult FoEME’s intern handbook.
VIII. Examples of projects completed by FoEME internships include:
· Environmental Education Handbook for the EcoPark in Jordan available here.
· Best Practices in Domestic Water Demand Management Paper available here.
· FoEME's Comments to the World Bank Terms of Reference for the Red Sea - Dead Sea Water Conveyance Project available here.
· FoEME interns maintain the organization's blog
IX. FoEME has compiled a manual written by former interns that gives tips on transportation, accommodations, insurance and other practical information in all 3 of our office locations.
Read some 'reflections' by past interns at FoEME:
- by Lena Siedentopp (July 2012)
- by Tara Siegel (May 2012)
- by Josef Wenninger (February 2012)
- by Daniel Olson (August 2011)
- by Tammy Stern (May 2010)
Looking forward to hearing from you.