EcoPeace Middle East's International Internship Program
The EcoPeace internship is an opportunity for high-caliber international students and young professionals to gain first-hand experience in the emerging field of environmental peacemaking, as well as providing support for EcoPeace’s ongoing projects and programs.
II. Duration of Internship
· A 3 month commitment is required with preference given to longer commitments. Applicants should be aware that the standard tourist visa given upon arrival is three months. EcoPeace is unable to assist with visas for internship applicants.
· Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
· Internship schedules are determined upon availability, at least 2 to 3 days a week are expected.
· Completion of Bachelor’s Degree, or in the last year of receiving this degree, or two years of work experience
· Strong English writing skills, Arabic and/or Hebrew are an advantage
· Interns are required to supply their own laptop computers (adaptors etc.)
· All interns are required to hold valid health insurance for the duration of their internship.
· Interns applying for a post at the BETHLEHEM OFFICE, for any period, but especially if exceeding 3 months, need to secure their visa for the whole duration before arriving to Palestine.
IV. Application Procedures
Please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Cover letter. Please specify why you are interested in working with us and if there is a preference to a specific project and office location.
· Letters of recommendation are encouraged, but not required
Interns will meet with their supervisors monthly. Interns must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
· Interns may receive a monthly sum for local work-related public travel expenses within each city.
· EcoPeace is unable to cover any international travel or living expenses related to the internship program.
VII. Potential Positions
Positions are designed individually based on the needs of the organization and the different locations at the time of application and throughout the internship, taking into consideration the applicants qualifications and interests. Potential areas for an internship include:
1. Resource Development/ Administration Intern (Tel Aviv based)
a. Supervised by Resource Development Officer
b. Assists in donor outreach, research on prospective donors, and donor communication/reporting
c. Potential to write an annual report or other needed documentation
2. Research Intern (Tel Aviv/Amman/Bethlehem based)
a. Supervised by relevant Project Coordinator
b. Intern will assist in research that is integrated into EcoPeace’s ongoing projects.
3. Media (Amman)
Must have strong background in environmental issues and is expected to work alongside the media officer to help produce content for both print and social media, including Facebook. Must have strong English writing skills, Arabic helps.
4. Sharhabil Bin Hassaneh Eco-Park Intern (Jordan)
a. Supervised by Deputy Director, Jordan
b. Implement educational activities in the EcoPark
5. Auja Environmental Center Intern, (Palestine)
a. Promote the Auja EcoPark in travel guides, vis a vis local and international tour companies and tour guides
b. Draft promotional material for center
c. English editing of publications and reports related to the center
d. Support for website development
e. Support for environmental education activities for local and international visitors and groups
f. Supervised by Auja EcoPark Manager and Director, Bethlehem Office
g. Auja Intern will live on-site in the Auja Guest house integrating themselves into the Auja team and community.
h. Beginning level Arabic strong advantage
6. Internships can also consist of general support activities, including:
a. Logistical support for upcoming events/ activities
b. Small research projects
c. English writing/editing
d. Translation of materials if proficient
e. Administrative support as needed
VIII. Examples of projects completed by EcoPeace internships include:
· Environmental Education Handbook for the EcoPark in Jordan available here
· Best Practices in Domestic Water Demand Management Paper available here
· EcoPeace's Comments to the World Bank Terms of Reference for the Red Sea - Dead Sea Water Conveyance Project available here
· EcoPeace interns maintain the organization's blog
EcoPeace has compiled a manual
written by former interns that gives tips on transportation, accommodations, insurance and other practical information in all 3 of our office locations.
Read some 'reflections' by past interns at EcoPeace:
Looking forward to hearing from you.